Sunday, August 9, 2009

Squeaky

I should have reported this sooner, but our longest lasting cat, Squeaky died on July 25. Due to liver problems, nourishment became a struggle when force feeding became a necessity the day before. Maggie, Mike (Schabel), Bob, and I tried to feed her, but success was limited. She let out a wailing sound that evening, but I thought that it was a sign that she wanted to be left alone. I checked again, but I received no response.

On the next day, Bob and I buried Squeaky near her predecessor, (Informally known as Little Sister) who died when her head was trapped by the side of our rocking recliner when I was sitting in the chair on April 21, 1997. Squeaky joined the family the next day. Our goal was to provide some joy to my mother who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer months earlier. Mom was able to enjoy Squeaky until July 21, 1998 when she lost her battle.

By the way, Little Sister's sibling, Tigger is still with Marnie. Her husband and kids inherited him as time progressed. Sobe the Cat (Mike Schmidt's cat who joined the family on my 30th birthday in 2000) and Cheeto the Dog complete the pet roster. I haven't see the pets in years or at all. As long as they're healthy, that's all that matters.

My next report will be more joyous.

No comments: