Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas

The day started at St. Leo's Church on Broadview Road in Cleveland, OH for 10:00 Mass. The attendance was very light, but those in attendance enjoyed an interesting homily about Christmas traditions. Father O'Donnell mentioned some classic movies such as It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, and Christmas Vacation. He said no matter how you celebrate Christmas is okay, but don't forget Jesus. (It's a paraphrase, but it is true. Father O'Donnell also didn't mention illegalities.) A short time later, Bob, Kathleen, and I brought up the gifts. Bob handled the money. Kathleen had the water and wine. I had the bread (Host). Father O'Donnell accepted the gifts and wished us a Merry Christmas. (There was a slight delay since he had no server to help him.) The Mass went on as usual with no major changes. Father O' Donnell ended the Mass with an amusing followup on the Homily. His amusement continued even after he was in the back of the church. I wish I could remember all the things that he said, but the point is memorable.

Shortly after Mass, Kathleen and I left for Maggie and Mike's house in Parma. (Bob was drafted to work.) We enjoyed ham, cheesy potatoes, corn, baked beans and sausage, salad, and various other accompaniments/appetizers. We also enjoyed desserts such as cheesecake, key lime pie, nut roll, and a few other desserts that I skipped. They're not my favorites, but I was full anyways.

Between courses, we opened gifts (At least, some of us). Most of the gifts were for Kendal and Hayden. Unlike most young kids, opening presents did not excite them. Tomorrow, they will open up more gifts at Mandy and Paul's. (They were both "present" for today's celebration.) Maybe, there will be more enthusiasm. Also, I hope that there is an entertaining report on the Kendal-Hayden blog about Christmas (All celebrations).

It was a nice event. Besides the people whom I have already mentioned, Tim, Lois, Mike Schmidt, and Marnie were also in attendance. Christmas dinner will be relatively boring. I'll let you know what I ate after I ate it.

In closing, the Gift Exchange names will only be available to the regular participants this year. They can e-mail me if they are interested. After about a week, I will send it in a small (or large) group e-mail. I'm sorry for the change in procedure.

No comments: