Friday, June 18, 2010

Dump the Pump

On Thursday, I went to Akron by bus because it was free to ride all day. I saved $2.50 by not buying an all day pass. The trip started by going downtown from Broadview and Tampa. The bus was four minutes late, but my bus to Brecksville was fifteen minutes late. Fortunately, my layover before the bus to Akron was scheduled to be 36 minutes. I took the bus to Akron with four other men. Once I reached the Transit Center, I retrieved the schedules for all of the Akron buses (except for the bus from Brecksville's VA hospital and the rush hour buses from Downtown Cleveland to Chapel Hill Mall or the Transit Center via Summit Mall). I then caught a bus to Chapel Hill Mall in Cuyahoga Falls.

After a brief review of the mall, I walked down to O'Charley's for lunch. I had a short wait for a table. Once seated, I ordered a white cheddar grilled cheese sandwich and a loaded baked potato as a lunch combo for $5.99. I also ordered a Pepsi. In addition to my order, I was surprised to receive two dinner rolls that were fresh out of the oven. They were very easy to eat. I enjoyed them immensely. My sandwich and potato came. The sandwich was delicious. The potato was skinny, but filling. It was "loaded" with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. The potato was appetizing, but I am having an entree and an appetizer next time because my prize for joining the e-club is a free appetizer with an entree purchase. I'll have Bob join the club as well to get the same deal (We hope!).

The food was fine, but I have to be firmer about no ice in my soda. It didn't help that my refills came without prompting. Maybe next time, the sodas will come to my liking. A glass two-thirds full of ice is not my idea of enjoying soda. At least, the refills were complimentary. In closing, O'Charley's earned my return business.

After lunch, I visited the adjacent Borders Books, Best Buy, and Target. My only purchase was a package of Chips Ahoy Coconut-Chocolate Chip Cookies that were on sale for $1.99 at Target. They will be enjoyed.

After Target, I caught a bus to downtown, so I could visit the Main Library. After a brief visit, I went back to the Transit Center to catch a bus to Rolling Acres Mall. I knew that the mall was out of business except for the Sears and the JCPenney Outlet Store, but I wanted to see the mall because I hadn't been there in about ten years, if I recall correctly.

The department stores were in good condition, but the inaccessible mall had fallen plaster that was visible from almost every window that I viewed. It was depressing. The mall was losing its appeal to me ten years ago, but I was unprepared for what I saw. Even worse, the Marc's across the street was out of business. When a Marc's closes without replacement, I know that the area has seen better days. Thankfully, an office furniture store occupies the space. A charter school is in the former Apples grocery store next door. There is some good news in this neighborhood. Most of the fast food places that were near the mall are still in business with their original tenants. However, the Wendy's is vacant. Though not fast food, the former Denny's appears to be a Mexican Restaurant now. Fast food restaurants are not enough. Rolling Acres would be nice as a lifestyle center or strip mall. I'll miss the Macy's and Dillard's buildings (I didn't look at them this time or the former Target due to time constraints that were caused by looking too long for the men's shoes in JCPenney Outlet Store.), but new stores could revitalize the area. An empty mall is not my idea of fun.

After my visit to Rolling Acres, I caught a bus back to the Transit Center, so I could catch a bus back to Brecksville and then a bus towards home. Since I had time to kill, I decided to take the bus down to West Market Street to see the sites. The bus was seven minutes late leaving, so I would have missed my planned bus in theory. Once again, I benefited from a late bus that was very quiet because I was the only passenger until another passenger joined me in Richfield. I then took the bus back to Downtown Cleveland. Unlike the Pilgrimage, I made my connection with the #35 bus that would lead to a short walk home.

In closing, the trip was full of adventure. The buses did not appear to be super crowded in the Akron area, despite the free rides. Cleveland's buses, though not free, were less crowded than I expected. Don't worry, I will see my share of overcrowded buses in the future. I hope to be back in the Akron area within the next month to enjoy O'Charley's. I hope that Bob enjoys O'Charley's as much as I do. If not, I can make occasional visits to satisfy my desires.

No comments: