Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Celebrities in My Midst

Yesterday, Bob and I saw Robin Swoboda as she was taping an episode of That's Life to air soon on WJW Fox 8 in Cleveland, OH. She was at Westfield Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted, OH (West of Cleveland). They were taping at the west end of the mall in front of Macy's. Since Bob and I were walking out of camera range, you won't see us on TV. I believe the show streams at http://www.myfoxcleveland.com, but I don't know all the details at this time. Robin has national exposure working with Ahmad Rashad and Gayle King on short lived programs (Weekly Syndication and NBC Daytime, respectively). She was one of the squares on Hollywood Squares for a week on the John Davidson version that aired from 1986 to 1989 in Syndication. She is a real character and a local institution.

Bob and I saw an even bigger celebrity on MLK Day this year. Angela Bassett was in town to honor Martin Luther King Jr. I'll admit that I wouldn't have recognized her if I didn't know that she was going to be a part of the ceremony, which was held at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I would have recognized the MC (Leon Bibb, WEWS (Channel 5) News Anchor) when I heard his voice as he has worked in town for over 30 years (http://www.newsnet5.com should have his biography.) He is another Cleveland Institution. I am also blessed that we have the Rock Hall in Cleveland, although I don't think it's worth the inflated admission price which I have never paid. (I paid $2 for the first anniversary celebration and nothing for the rest of my visits which number between 10-15 since 1996. This discount rate is due to anniversary celebrations and participation in the MLK Day Free or Reduced Rate program.) There are other "celebrities" that I have met over the years, but I'll save them for another post.

No comments: