Friday, November 20, 2009

Costco

On Wednesday, I passed out crab cake samples at Costco in Strongsville, OH through Adecco, an employment agency. After taking two buses to get to Southpark where I had lunch at McDonald's, I walked to the Holiday Inn near I-71 (About a ten minute walk from the mall, it would have been a little bit closer from the bus stop closer to Costco, but I left at 10:00 A.M. because I had good coordination between buses at this time. It also allowed me to have lunch in a "leisurely" manner before my 12:30 start time.) because the coordination and bus (Not RTA) trip to Costco originated from there. At Sign-In, I received my visor, apron, and hairnet. After the brief orientation and short bus trip, I was eventually placed at the Crab cake Sample area. I had two partners. One partner quietly disappeared as her shift was over. The other partner did all the cooking with a convection oven. She also did the sample size cutting and the placement into the baking/serving cups. I passed out most of the samples and refilled the supplies which were replenished by another temp worker, so we didn't have to leave our station. I also offered appreciation for shopping at Costco.

Although I arrived later, I was offered break and dinner first. Since we weren't supposed to wear our watches, we were given a timer for our breaks. The timer distributor was also our relief. Dinner consisted of a complimentary hot dog and soda ($1.50 value as a package deal)
which was ''paid for" with a manager's business card which we were given at sign-in. I also had a large slice of pepperoni pizza (Only $1.99). I added two types of mustard and pickle relish to my hot dog (Foot Long). The food was filling, but a little spicy. Unfortunately, while I was looking for a fork or spoon to eat my relish that fell out of my hot dog, a staff member threw my wrapper with the relish out. At least, I finished the hot dog.

We ran out of boxes for the samples, and they weren't giving us any more since closing was in about an hour. Before leaving the store, we took our carts to the office area near the restrooms to clean them. We were then sent to the snack bar to wait for the bus back to the hotel to sign out. My crab cake partner gave me a lift to the bus stop because it was raining. (The bus stop was past Costco, since RTA didn't add a bus stop to accommodate Best Buy and the rest of the stores in the strip because it would have been a difficult maneuver after a left turn from Howe Road.) The bus arrived shortly after being dropped off. Since I was between buses, I walked home from Broadview and Pearl Roads after departing the bus. The walk home was uneventful except for the rain. From the time I got on the bus on Royalton Road to arriving home, it was just about an hour. It was a fun day at a very popular sample stand. I was very surprised. I didn't know crab cakes were so popular.

On the next day, I was offered a last minute offer to work at Costco again that day, but I wasn't home to receive the call. It would have been difficult to make it on time although I would have had coordination between buses. I could have had more fun (and more money).

My next report should be after Thanksgiving since I will be sending Gift Exchange e-mails to my immediate family. Have a nice Thanksgiving. I'll be in touch.

No comments: