Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Browns and a Christmas Sale That I Missed

On January 3rd, Bob and I attended the Browns-Jaguars game at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Our seats were in the Dawg Pound. Our tickets were provided by our nephew, Dan. He has had season tickets since the Browns returned in 1999. Until this year, his tickets were in the back row near one of the corners. We had a nice view of the whole stadium from those seats. The end zone is the featured view in the Dawg Pound. It was hard to see what was going on for most of the game. It didn't help that everyone in the front row was standing for the whole game. Even with all the problems, including the very cold weather, we had a nice time. It didn't hurt that the Browns won 23-17. After the game, we took a crowded (We had seats!) train back to Tower City. We then took a bus to Dimitri's in Parma for a nice dinner. After some shopping, we came home.


Before the game, we ate at Subway in Tower City. We then took a train to the Stadium. Just like the later train, we had seats. Seats or no seats, it beats walking to and from the Stadium from Tower City.

Unlike the Stadium, the stores were generally not crowded for Orthodox Christmas on January 7. There is one exception. I was at Ziggy's Produce near my house on January 6th buying a lottery ticket. It was a little more crowded than normal. I also noted that the store would be closed on January 7. I could have asked why, but I didn't. I later learned why. There was a picture from a ceremony observing Orthodox Christmas Eve in the January 8th Plain Dealer. After looking at my calender from St. Leo's, I discovered that January 7 is Christmas on the Julian Calender. Although there are many Orthodox churches in nearby Parma, Orthodox Christmas is apparently not publicized in my area. Orthodox Easter, which is usually a week later than Christian Easter, gets a little more publicity. (We're not talking about candy sales!) This inspires me to do more research on the Orthodox religion. By the way, Ziggy's Produce had a few more customers than normal on January 8th when I returned to buy another lottery ticket. There must have been an "unpublicized" sale at the store. In closing, I am wondering if there is an Orthodox Black Friday. It would be interesting to see if there are any good deals on that day. Tune in to find out!

No comments: