Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dave! and Other Tales

My nephew-in-law, Dave Goldberg turns 28 today. It's his first birthday since he married Amy. They live in Auburndale, (Newton) MA. They were planning to come to the Warren area to see Amy's brother Dan, his wife Laura, and their two daughters, Amy Marie and Emily. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.


Speaking of great-nieces, there has been a link to Kendal and Hayden's blog on this blog for awhile now. Now, Mike and Marnie have reciprocated. It's listed under "Uncle Bill". My goal for this link is to get Mike and Marnie's friends to read this blog, especially the tales of Kendal and Hayden with "accurate" locations.


Locations are important to me. I like to travel to exciting places. Unfortunately, I do not travel as much as I like. I did go to Massachusetts this year for Amy and Dave's wedding, but I generally stay within Cuyahoga County, OH., unless I am riding with someone to some occasion.


I traveled to the Akron area by bus on June 18. Regular bus service was free on Akron's Metro RTA to encourage use of public transportation. I went to Chapel Hill Mall. I didn't stay long as there was nothing exciting to see there. I looked for an interesting place for lunch. The most interesting place in my "budget" turned out to be a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut Express. Quizno's would have been fun since most of the locations in the Cleveland area (At least the ones that I have patronized) have closed. A four dollar "Torpedo" was tempting, but the size was unknown, so I settled for a Grilled Chicken Taco and a Bean Burrito. It was satisfying.

I then took the scenic route through Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, and Akron's Merriman Valley area. After a stop at Akron's Main LIbrary, I then went out towards Lakemore. I visited the Tri-County Plaza. (JcPenney, Family Dollar, Radio Shack, and Goodwill are the anchors.) Chapel Hill Mall is an improvement. I then walked near where Mike and Marnie were married almost five years ago. I then headed back to Akron's recently opened Transportation Center to catch a bus back to Brecksville. I then caught a bus to downtown Cleveland. Yes, I could have gotten off at Brecksville and Rockside Roads, but Discount Drug Mart and Walgreen's can only kill so much time. I could also have had dinner at one of the many restaurants in the area, (including Quizno's) but I decided to save money and go home to dinner.

It was an interesting day that went relatively smoothly. My only fear was that I could have missed the bus back to Akron's Transportation Center when I stopped at Giant Eagle to grab an Akron AT&T phone book that may or may not have been available. The first copy had a ripped cover, so I exchanged it. Fortunately, I made the bus easily. Even if I missed it , I would have probably made the last bus back to Brecksville. Let's just say that I prevented any unnecessary stress.

In closing, I wish everyone a happy and safe Fourth of July and a happy Canada Day.


dd

No comments: