Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My New Computer

Yesterday, I bought a new laptop computer at Best Buy in Strongsville. Bob and I had looked for a similar model at Staples. It was one that had to be ordered in-store. They were out of stock in the warehouse, so the store couldn't order it. On Monday, Bob and I saw this computer. Best Buy and American Express were offering a $40 Best Buy Gift Card with a $200 or more purchase at Best Buy with an American Express Card. Unfortunately, registration was required, and I hadn't read the details, so I didn't buy the computer at that time. They didn't have this computer at Best Buy at Steelyard Commons, so we went back to Best Buy in Strongsville yesterday. This time, Maggie was the chauffeur, so we didn't have to cart the computer by bus. The purchase went relatively smoothly until a Rewards Zone Discount was handed over after Gift Cards were used. We had to start over. Thankfully, I hadn't swiped my credit card yet (The machine was ready, but the clerks were not.). Eventually, the transaction was completed.

Surprisingly, the purchase was less cumbersome than the registration performed on Monday via the Internet. It would have been easy, but a Security Code was required. It was only partially visible on my card. My "guess" was rejected, but it was a "technical" problem that was "fixed" by the time that Bob entered the code. Unfortunately, I was on the phone trying to attain the code. The options offered in the customer service system were "appealing", but useless. After three calls and two phone numbers, customer service was heard as an option. After a brief wait, I spoke to an operator who didn't have the code, but promised to send me a new card where the code would be visible. Hopefully, everything will work out to my satisfaction.

We put the computer in the upstairs hallway closet until today. The installation was pretty smooth, but the main problem was that we thought the remote was missing from the box, but it was eventually found. Internet access exists, but the computer is not in the printer network yet.

The computer works so far, although the mute button changed colors and would not change back although the mute function worked properly. Somehow, the problem was fixed. The cause and solution are both mysteries, but the media controls are a little sensitive, and they are too close to the "insert/scroll" and "delete" buttons. On second thought, let's just say that it's a mystery that may never be solved.

The computer will be an adventure until I get used to it. At least, I have "formal" laptop experience of approximately eight months. An external wireless mouse will also help. Tune in to find out more about my adventures with the computer and in life.

No comments: