Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Bishop Came to Visit, but I Didn't Meet Him.

Last Saturday, Bishop Roger Gries (I originally called him Robert when I published this post, but my sister Kathleen caught my mistake. I guess that I should have done a better job proofreading.) came to St. Leo Church to confirm fifty young people, who are about age 13 (I was 18 when I was confirmed because St. Leo Church confirmed high school juniors at the time. This was in November 1988.). It was a normal event without distractions. (Read last year's story for more details.). After Mass, Bishop Gries stayed to pose for pictures by the altar, so I didn't greet him like I greeted Bishop Lennon last year. (I also skipped greeting Father Lowe in the vestibule. Father Vesely does not go to the back of the church to greet people since he has difficulty walking. Father O'Donnell is on sick leave. This has not been formally announced to the parish.). Maybe next year, I will greet the bishop. Tune in next year to find out.

In other news, there is a new gas valve on our boiler. (Until Thursday, I thought we had a furnace in our house, but we never did. We always referred to the two "systems" as the furnace.) On Tuesday, Bob discovered that the pilot light had burned out. The next morning, I went to Marc's to get a multipurpose lighter. It did not do the job. We called our furnace person. He and a lady came out that afternoon. Once the man started working, the lady was not seen again in the house. After about an hour, the problem was fixed. Our heat returned to its desired status by that night. It's not good not to have heat when it's cold outside.

In closing, I forgot to mention Dan Jr.'s birthday on February 28. I expect to see him and his family tomorrow when I visit my sister (his mother) Patty at his house. Details will follow in my next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
It is Bishop ROGER Gries, not Robert.
Nice post on the visit to Howland!
Kathleen