Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Patrick

My nephew Patrick turned 33 years old today. I hope that he is enjoying himself in Vancouver, BC where he is doing work for the Paralympics. It follows up his DJ work for Short Track Skating and Figure Skating for the recent Winter Olympics. This works out perfectly since I mailed his present this afternoon.

It was an adventure buying his present. I was at Discount Drug Mart on Fulton Road in Cleveland on Tuesday buying candy for Bob's meals for work. Near the candy, I saw a display of Gift Cards for other stores and services. When looking at the candy on sale, I noticed that only some of the candy had sales price signs. I went to find an ad to confirm what was on sale. The ad for the upcoming sale was already up, but the old ad was in a nearby trash can. In addition, as I was looking for other areas where the candy might have been, I found peanuts that were three cans for $5. It would have been better if I still had a dollar off coupon, but I still thought it was a good deal.

I went to pay for my items. I used my credit card because it was a "big" purchase. It was going smoothly until I tried to write my signature on the machine. As I was writing, the machine was unhinged from the screws holding it on the platform. Thankfully, the transaction was processed. (It was feared that everything would have to be rescanned.) The clerk told me to sign in the machine's box, but the box was not there, so I signed with a pen. In my rush, I almost forgot to take my gift card, but the clerk caught my mistake. (Before I forgot the Gift Card, I had to wait for the next customer to be done before I could claim my library bags. The clerk forgot about my bags, but I was also still a little frazzled from my experience.)

Fortunately, the greeting card purchase at Gabriel Brothers in Middleburg Hts. the day before was a lot smoother. There was no line, but I had to wait until some other work not related to a customer who was present at the time was completed before I was served. At least I wasn't trying to catch a bus towards home right after my purchase. The lines are usually a little longer at those times. There is usually some complication that bogs down the line. This has happened either to me or someone ahead of me in line. Even with some of the complications, I have found some bargains there over the years. It's not too far from my house, but it's not one of my regular shops. I usually go there if I'm either at the nearby Bakers Square or if I need Christmas Cards for the great-nieces. It's a short hike from the nearest bus stop, but exercise is good unless it is really cold on the day when I am shopping at Gabriel Brothers. I also shop at the nearby Priced Less Foods, but that's a story for another day.

Until next time, Happy Shopping!

No comments: