Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Day

Today is a day that will be hard to forget. It started with a trip to Acme Supermarket at Pleasant Valley and Broadview Roads in Parma. I bought some hot dogs and cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios and Golden Grahams (Unlike my birthday, Golden Grahams (in the on sale size) were in stock on the last day of a sale.). The hot dogs were supposedly three for the price of one. The ad said meat franks. The label did not use that title, but the ad showed what was on sale. The display area did not have the sale sign in question. After a couple of looks at the ad, I had selected All Beef Franks since the specific item was not clear. Once I had reached the cashier (No self-check!), I interrogated the cashier about the hot dogs. She scanned the item and quoted the "on sale price" of $3.00. It was only the pictured item that was three for the price of one. Since Bob likes All Beef hot dogs, I bought them anyways. Fortunately, I had a coupon for $.75 off of any two Ball Park Franks. I bought all three packs instead of the two packs that I would have bought in a normal sale. The cereals' dollar off of two coupons were no problem. I then headed for home. The bus was eight minutes late coming and going. Late buses would become a theme later in the day.

Ninety minutes later, Bob and I headed for Parmatown. Unfortunately, the bus was so late that Bob went home because we wouldn't have made our second bus. Bob sent me to go get gyros at Famous Gyro George's on Broadview Road in Parma. I expected to catch the bus and get off at Broadview and Snow Roads because the route splits at this point. Once again the bus was late. After calling Bob with a change of plans, the bus arrived. The bus ride was uneventful until the bus stopped at the corner of Broadview and Snow instead of turning on Snow/Rockside Road. I thought that the driver was offering a courtesy stop to a wheelchair bound passenger. It wasn't until I saw my expected bus turning on to Snow/Rockside Road that I realized both buses were very late. If I had stayed on the bus, I would have avoided a short walk to the restaurant.

When the bus was late, I had decided on a nearby Arby's after calling Bob. Unfortunately, it was closed for a few days for construction. (The Walgreen's next door is close to completion. More details will follow in a future post.) I called Bob again to tell him that I was coming home as the Northbound bus was coming soon. I then realized that I was just on that bus, so I called Bob again to tell him that I was going to Taco Bell (co-branded with Long John Silvers).

I ordered my food first because I was shooting for a sure thing, as far as buses go. I ordered two Cantina Tacos that were supposed to be discounted for buying two instead of one. I was not charged the discount rate. The problem was fixed so well that the soda that I ordered was not charged. My guilty conscience wouldn't allow the free soda, but the clerk wouldn't take the money. I ate my tacos, which were very tiny. In addition, the shell's taste was unappealing, even for a soft shell. They had skipped the lime, but I didn't miss it. There was no lettuce or tomato included (I withheld the onions.). I'll stick with the crispy or the regular soft taco in the future.

I went to get a soda refill. Unfortunately, the soda wouldn't stop flowing. I was going to alert an employee, but another customer beat me to it. I then ordered a Chalupa for Bob. I then headed to the bus stop to go home. Since I had time, I mailed some bills that Bob wanted to be mailed. The bus was late, but not too late. I came home and told my story to Bob. He told me that a water main break in Broadview Heights was the cause for the lateness for that branch of the route. (The other branch's lateness was just the routine lateness.) This day cannot get any more interesting.

Bob and I went to Friendly's in Parma Heights for dinner. We had BOGO burgers (Mine was Boca.) After we were finished, we sprinted to make a bus. If the bus is on time, we make our bus towards home. Even with the fun of the day's buses, the bus was late enough to make coordination risky. Bob had already decided to go to Honey Hut, so we did. We got off the bus at Pearl and Oak Park and walked to Honey Hut. I had two scoops of Honey Graham Ice Cream in a cup. Bob had a scoop each of Coconut and Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Creams in one cup. The ice cream was quite tasty. We then walked home as we usually do after Honey Hut. We then relaxed the rest of the night.

Thankfully the end of the day worked better than the start of the day. I know it's hard to believe, but you can't make all this stuff up. It would need a genius to perform the miracle.

Until next time, be creative.

No comments: