Saturday, October 9, 2010

Walgreen's, Dave, Melina, and the Census Bureau

On Thursday, I finally made it to the new Walgreen's on Rockside Road in Parma. (The Arby's next door has a Snow Road address.) Cashews (8.5 oz.), mixed nuts (9 oz.), and peanuts (16 oz.) were on sale for $1.99 through today. I bought a can each of cashews and mixed nuts (Both unsalted). I didn't buy any peanuts because I can buy the same size from Aldi at that price regularly. (Deals offers the same size for $2.) I didn't tour the store because I wanted to catch the bus home, so I could catch up on videotapes with Bob. In addition to the nuts, I picked up five Buck Doubles from the nearby Burger King for Bob's meals at work. I also visited the Parma-Snow library to pick up some CDs and read some materials. We watched the tape, ate leftover pizza from Don-Gi's Pizza, and relaxed before Bob left for work.

This morning, we got haircuts from the Pearlview Barber Shop on Broadview Road (Across from the former Arby's). It was our first haircut since our previous barber, Dave Bernard, died a week ago. Before going to work at our current barber shop, his barber shop was across the street. Bob and I had our haircuts from Dave for about twenty years there before the bar next door wanted to expand. He then went to work with our present barber, Roy Valenti, briefly. His license and smock are still there, although he retired a few years ago. There was at least one time when Roy cut my hair, and Dave cut Bob's hair. (I don't remember if the reverse scenario occurred.) Dave will be missed.

There is a little bit of trivia concerning Dave Bernard. His son married Melina Kanakeredes's sister. Coincidentally, Melina was on Live with Regis and Kelly on Thursday. Unfortunately, Dave's death wasn't mentioned on the show. It would have been nice to meet her if she made it back to town for the wake and funeral. By the way, Bob and I missed both events because they didn't fit into Bob's schedule. We really didn't know his family, although his widow and a few other relatives made a few appearances at the barber shop over the years while we were there. We'll have our memories.

Speaking of memories, I finally have decided to update the story of the Census Bureau's failure to put my pay into my bank account. After my first call and visit to the Census Bureau, only about half of my pay made it into my bank account, so I called again. A few days later, after checking my bank account, I thought that the Census Bureau failed again, but I reviewed my pay stubs and realized that my pay stubs were added together (Two amounts were in each pay stub in my later weeks in one of those baffling government decisions.) On July 29th, my pay stubs and my bank account were finally in sync (after the aforementioned summation, of course). After a small hassle, I was finally relieved with a happy ending.

Until next time, keep up with the research.

No comments: