Thursday, July 10, 2014

From Marlborough to Clinton

Bob and I started June 29 with cereal for breakfast.  Dan made a delicious brunch of blueberry pancakes and bacon.  Patty had suggested eggs when she put Dan in charge, but the blueberry pancakes and bacon were filling.

Around 2:30 in the afternoon, we headed to Solomon Pond Mall on the Marlborough/Berlin border, so Patty, Bob, and Dan could see Godzilla.  Since I had very little interest in seeing the film, I spent my time enjoying the mall and the surrounding area.  I started off at Macy's in search of a belt because my belt fell apart just before we left for Mass the day before.  Their belts were on sale, and I had a coupon, but I thought their designer belts were still too "expensive" for my tastes. 

After Macy's, I found the Food Court in search of a "time-killing" snack!  Normally, I would have chosen Master Wok, Pizzeria Regina, or D'Angelo Grilled Sandwiches because they are not present in the Cleveland area.  However, I had a craving for potato cakes because Arby's is a "luxury" in Massachusetts, and I had never had food at an Arby's in New England, let alone Massachusetts.  The potato cakes were nice and hot, but I overpaid for a soda with a free refill because I had missed the Value Drink on the menu.  The clerk also either didn't hear me, or he chose to ignore me when I asked about a value size.  Thankfully, it was only $.40 more.

After my snack, I went to JcPenney's to continue my quest for a belt.   I found a Stafford reversible belt for $19.99 (It was tax-exempt.).  Since my shorts were loose, I wanted to wear the belt, but I could not loosen the brand hook.  I then went to Sears to see if I could find a cheaper belt.  They had cheaper belts, but they were not reversible, and the quality was unknown. 

After Sears, I walked around the mall in search for a phone book.  I didn't find any in the mall, but in the parking garage, I found the phone books by the mail boxes for the stores.  I took a quick look, but since they weren't for the public, I did not take one.  It wasn't for my sister's area, but it would have been useful.  (Occasionally, phone books are available at libraries, supermarkets, and malls for public consumption.)

I then headed to Best Buy and Eastern Mountain Sports.  Neither store excited me enough to buy anything.  I then headed back to the mall.  I took a chance going over the Assabet River "bridge".  The rail was on the right going back.  There was no room for two-way traffic.  I was relieved when I made it to safety.

I then sat in the mall for a short time before I went to meet my group after their movie.  I looked at the phone book again before walking into the lobby of the theater complex. (There was no mall access from the complex.)  After a short wait, Patty, Dan, and Bob came out of the theater.

Dinner was approaching.  I had suggested 99 Restaurant in Marlborough, but Dan had another idea.  He suggested The Old Timer Restaurant in Clinton.  I had seen an advertisement somewhere for the place, so I was willing to try it.  The Old Timer claimed to be an Irish-American Restaurant, but their menu seemed to be "lacking" in that category.  They were also lacking in customers at about 5:30 in the evening.  We were the only customers.  I think that the warm weather may have been a factor.  The place had fewer customers than IHOP at Cleveland's Steelyard Commons at dinnertime.

Despite the lack of customers, the food was delicious.  I had one of the specials which consisted of a lobster roll, French fries, cole slaw and two rolls.  Cheesecake and Coke supplemented the special.  I may have sampled Patty's salad, but I didn't record it.  I did sample grape nut pie, though.  It's not something that I would order, but I guess that people in New England love it.  The service was very friendly.  Somebody had to alleviate the boredom.

After dinner, we relaxed for awhile.  Eventually, Patty, Bob, and I used Netflix's Streaming service to see Madea's Witness Protection.  We enjoyed it, but Bob fell asleep.  Surprisingly, I stayed awake for this film and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  Once again, we relaxed for the rest of the evening.

The final three days of this trip will be very interesting.

No comments: