Tuesday, July 8, 2014

From Ogunquit, ME to Lancaster, MA (The Ocean View)

June 26 started with the Coconut Cream Tart that we didn't eat the night before because Bob had fallen asleep.  I then walked down to Cumberland Farms (The Gulf station was across the street from the motel.) to buy some newspapers.  I ended up buying seven papers (including the Worcester Telegram and Gazette, which would have been cheaper back in Lancaster).  The other papers were from Maine and New Hampshire.  After returning to the motel, we checked out, but with a parking permit, we were allowed to keep our parking privileges. 

Since we planned on walking along the Atlantic Ocean, we took a short drive to The Omelette Factory for breakfast.  I had a ham and three cheese omelet.  It was tasty.  I also enjoyed the sweet bread and the half English muffin that accompanied the omelet.  Originally, I just had water, but I needed something more.  I decided to have a soda based on the free refill principle.  It also would have been reasonably priced at $2.00.  I ended up with a can.  Thankfully, Bob skipped the soda.

After breakfast, we drove back to the motel.  We then walked towards the Atlantic Ocean, with a detour to stop at two stores.  Ro's by the Shore (The first store) specialized in clothing advertising Ogunquit and Maine, along with some toys.  Patty, Dan, and Bob bought some clothes there (including a shirt for Maggie), but I found nothing for myself.  The second store was housed in a former church.  It was named Revelations Gifts: The Sanctuary Shop.  It was more of a traditional gift shop, but we didn't buy anything there.  Dan then took the purchases back to the car.

We all enjoyed the scenery along the Atlantic Ocean.  I walked near the ocean, but I didn't want to ruin the shoes that I started wearing on June 3 that were bought on April 15, 2012 at the New Balance Factory Store.  When we were finished, we decided to take the trolley back into "Downtown" Ogunquit.  The trolley cost $2.00.  It had no windows, which allowed us to enjoy the breeze.  We left Molly the Trolley (No relation to Cleveland's Lolly the Trolley) just before Main Street, so Dan and Patty could go back to the toy store to buy gifts for their granddaughters Amy and Emily, who were coming to visit in the coming weeks. (As far as I was concerned, we should have left the trolley at the stop across from our motel.  The walk back to the toy store was not that far.)  The gifts included a Charades game and a couple of items that I thought would be a disaster.  Hopefully, the granddaughters will appreciate the exercise that will result from the toys.

On the way out of Ogunquit, we shopped at a store called Woods to Goods in York, ME.  This store specialized in items made by prisoners.  Bob picked out a small wooden ship that I bought for Maggie because she likes sailboats.

After our shopping experience, we dined at Wild Willy's, also in York.  I had a Pineland Farms Beef burger with mushrooms and Swiss cheese.  We shared French Fries.  I had another can of soda since this restaurant did not have fountain drinks.  (Last year's Worcester branch had fountain drinks, if I am not mistaken.)  The food was enjoyable, but the restaurant was too small for the crowd that it attracts.  We ate outdoors because the table inside would have been a "traffic nightmare."  The condiment selection was either non-existent or inconvenient, but it was not a major problem for me.

After lunch, we were headed back to Lancaster.  We stopped off at a Liquor Store in New Hampshire, just off the turnpike/freeway.  The only shopper was me.  I bought two sets of numbers at $2.00 apiece for the Saturday and Wednesday drawings.  Beginners' luck held true because I broke even on the Saturday drawing and won $2.00 on the Wednesday drawing.  I was 17 the last time that I visited New Hampshire.  Pheasant Lane Mall was the only item on the itinerary in New Hampshire that day. 

After returning home, it rained.  Patty heard something in the Stove Pipe of their Wood Burning Stove.  Dan went on the roof to investigate.  Nothing was found at this time.  (Details of the eventual rescue will appear in the next post.)  No injuries occurred on the roof, but I fell walking barefoot on a wet bridge on the property.  The injuries were minor, so I was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

Dinner that night was sandwiches.  There was a variety of breads, meats, and cheeses.  The food was appetizing.  The rest of the evening was spent in relaxation.

In closing, our motel was nicer than I though it would be, but I would have stayed at a hotel or motel in the Maine Mall area, so I could enjoy the shops in the area.  Maine was memorable, though.  The next trip's goal is Vermont.

Until my next Post, enjoy your day.           

No comments: