Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Tribute to Danny McDonnell

On the third anniversary of my brother Danny's death, I visited the bridge over the Chippewa Creek in Brecksville, OH where most of his ashes were scattered. I visited the Brecksville Library (Sister Library to the Parma Snow and Parma South libraries mentioned previously) to enhance my pilgrimage experience. I picked up books on St. Louis and Religion in Ohio. I used the self check circulation system. It's different from the original self check system in Fairview Park and the one at the Main Branch of the Cleveland Public Library. I had used this particular version once before in Strongsville. My advice is to use the attached keypad instead of the touch screen when entering your PIN number. You should also use a gentler touch to prevent double-clicking. Once you know what you're doing, the system is very user-friendly. The old system was not too difficult as long as the laser beam and the bar codes were in alignment. Isn't technology wonderful?

I then walked down to the Brecksville Shopping Center. I bought some candy (Four Snickers Bars at thirty-nine cents apiece) at Great Freight, but I walked out empty handed at Giant Eagle and CVS. I then walked down to the bridge over Chippewa Creek and offered some sentiments to my brother. I threw some pebble-like fragments into the creek as I like to throw gentle things into the water. I then walked over to Heinen's to look for things to buy. I almost bought some laundry rust removal that was a very good price, but I decided that it was not desperately needed. I'll just have to wait to make my first purchase at Heinen's. It's funny that I have purchases from each of my Hannaford visits (I did not buy anything during my brief visit to the store's predecessor, Victory, in July 1993. It was a brief visit to the Fitchburg, MA store while my sister was looking for shoes at K Mart for her son, Patrick. At least I can say that I was there.).

I then took the #77F bus to visit the Discount Drug Mart in nearby Independence to pass the time as I waited for a #35 bus to take me home. I bought some more candy bars there. It was three Nestle brand bars for ninety-nine cents. They also had Nestle Crunch Crisp Candy Bars that were four for a buck, but they were out of them. Maybe I'll have better luck at the North Olmsted store if I go to the nearby Fairview Park Library on Thursday. I'll let you know. Even with the minor disappointment, it was a successful trip that ended smoothly.

By the way, I may have to edit my last post because I may have forgotten to mention that
Regina High School is in South Euclid, OH. I believe that place and location are important. The Kendal-Hayden blog would be much improved as you will see after I e-mail Marnie about this.

No comments: